What Information are YOU Planning to Share With Your Daughters?

I’ve been writing what I plan on sharing with my daughters. I’m curious what things other moms will be sharing with theirs. I love hearing what information people want to pass on to their children about breastfeeding and parenting.

11 comments for “What Information are YOU Planning to Share With Your Daughters?

1. Amber
    August 3, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Trust your body – you know your body. Encourage home birth and baby wearing.. cosleeping and extended breastfeeding. Let them know just because I had an emergency cesarean and my mother had two that their body is their own and not to give up on the hope of natural childbirth. That’s the mom stuff for sure. Otherwise be yourself. Be weird if you want to be – don’t conform to what others expect of you to fit in. <3

2. Zoe
    August 4, 2012 at 12:03 am

My older daughter is 11, my little one is 8 months. I exclusively breastfed #1 until she self-weaned at 15 months (a sad day). She is learning so much about breastfeeding and parenting just through experience with #2. She sees me nursing on demand and watched me struggle through those insanely difficult first few months. I hope that this has shown her perseverence and given her a similar passion for breastfeeding.

August 4, 2012 at 12:28 am

That is why I wish my daughter had been first-child not third-and-possibly-lastchild. I wish she got to watch me nurse and was exposed to those things as a norm. That’s part of why I’m writing these letters to her. :) Your 11 year old daughter is LUCKY.

3. August 4, 2012 at 6:27 am

My eldest was 3 and a half when my youngest was born – she practised hypnobirthing with me, saw the birth, and helped volunteer at breastfeeding support. How much she remembers I don’t know. She plays with slings all the time and is very focused on babies. We still go to natural parenting groups so both girls see breastfeeding, cosleeping and babywearing as normal. She plays with cots, pushchairs and bottles with her dolls, trying out other ways of sleeping, feeding and transporting a baby, but very firmly says that her own babies will be breastfed, cosleep and worn. I guess what I want both my girls to know (and I this is just as true of boys) that all of this is normal and that there are many people out there doing them, and providing support.

4. vesa
    August 4, 2012 at 1:23 pm

a doctor’s health never gets compromised by the decisions they make about *your* body, you are always the one who ends up paying for their mindset. on the same note, no one gets affected by your breastfeeding relationship like you & your child do, so listen to yourself & your baby cause all the surrounding public feels is uncomfortable; is their approval worth the trauma and pain of ending this wonderful thing you got going prematurely?
    recap: 1. don’t let anyone rob you of your mommy power and 2. question everything the dr says a thousand + times, & if the dr gets flustered find someone who is okay with all the questioning, because that’s the person who knows which one of you gets harmed when he/she decides to play god. (it applies to sons too, they learn to be supportive of their own families & not easily swayed by masses)

5. Meghan
    August 4, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I hope to teach my daughter to trust her self, to parent her babies the way that she feels is best, to stick to her beliefs when others tell her it’s wrong, to trust her body. I know her future parenting choices may not be the choices that I have made while raising B and her brother, but I really, really hope I get to help her breast feed and baby wear :)

6. Brittany
    August 4, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I want to teach my gorgeous toddler about early romances. I would like her to not focus completely on a boy who she will most likely not marry and develop her awesome personality and talents to the fullest. Not that we will completely forbid high school dating but I don’t want her so caught up in it that she loses track of everything else.

7. christieann mathison
    August 5, 2012 at 1:30 am

My daughter is 11, my son is 8 weeks…this is awesome. i have watched my daughter watch me with her brother and then i have watched her replicate and mimic ALL of my sounds, moves and mannerisms with her little brother. i have listened to her ask countless questions about what and why we are doing with her brother, from breastfeeding to keeping him intact. I have lovingly, willingly and joyously talked with her about why we do all the many little things we do to nurture and care for him, just as we did and do for her. It is amazing, she is like a sponge. Excited and desiring to “practice” what she is seeing. I never knew her brother would be one of the BIGGEST teachable moments I could give her. She is learning “how to mother”. it doesn’t get any bigger than that!

8. Denise
    August 5, 2012 at 9:51 am

I can speak from experience how much my mom’s advice about breastfeeding and co-sleeping affected my decisions because she was a huge supporter during those difficult first few months as a new mom because we all know breastfeeding is a major committment mentally, emotionally, and physically. She was my cheerleader :) likewise, I will do the same for my daughter :)

9. Kerri
    August 6, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I want her to know that her choices are hers to make. She should feel strong in what she chooses for her family as I do for ours. I have no expectations of how she will choose to parent, but she knows that she and her siblings were breastfed and co-slept and deep down I hope at least some of that rubbed off on her :)

10. Ashley
    August 6, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I hope I can teach her to love herself. I have grown up second guessing myself; I want her to trust herself completely. I get criticism from my mother and MIL about my choices (ya know, following my instincts as a mama) a lot. I want to support her choices fully, without judgement. Ahhh, it was theraputic just writing that out, thanks!