Breastfeeding? Planning to? Please get geeky and learn about “FIL” (Feedback Inhibitor of Lactation). This is a little protein in your milk that acts as the enforcer of supply and demand.
The more milk your breasts have in them the more FIL is present. So when your breasts become engorged between feeds they’re FULL of this protein that decreases your supply. When you constantly empty your breasts they do not have as much FIL and your supply stays the same or increases depending on your baby’s behavior.
This is why engorgement is bad. This is why bottles at night so that mama can sleep.. Bad (for supply). This is why “letting your breasts fill back up”.. Bad. This is why any schedule for breastfeeding other than “on demand”.. Bad.
It’s not because someone somewhere decided to make life difficult with all sorts of rules. It’s because your body is smart and it knows that making “too much” milk will sap your resources and put you at risk for infections. Your body constantly wants to decrease your supply and your baby constantly wants to increase it. The balance is found with on-demand feeding.
- Schedules Bad, Routines Good. I don’t have my six and a half week old...
- The Six Week Growth Spurt Dear Daughter, You turned six weeks old on Friday. This...
- Overfeeding a Baby with a Bottle vs. the Breast Picture this: A hose. A bottle is a hose that...
- The “One Ounce Per Hour” Rule The "One Ounce Per Hour" rule of bottle feeding during...
- Behavior Toolkit
- Breastfeeding Basics
- Breastfeeding Toolkit
- Coping Toolkit
- Daddy Guest Post
- Empathy Toolkit
- Gentle Parenting Toolkits
- Get Geeky
- healthy eating
- Healthy Supply
- Language Toolkits
- Letters to a Daughter
- Letters to My Sons
- Letters to Myself
- Letters to the People In My Life
- News and Studies
- Nurshable News
- Personal Growth
- Playfulness Toolkit
- Sometimes Snarky
- The Experience
- The Mommy Wars
- Skylar on Twenty Months, Canines and Self Settling (Sort Of)
- Jen on Twenty Months, Canines and Self Settling (Sort Of)
- Elyse on Tear-Free Self Soothing at Ten and a Half Months (Wait it Out Method)
- Daria on Twenty Months, Canines and Self Settling (Sort Of)
- Tiffany on Are You a Gentle Parent or are you Trying to be a Gentle Parent?
Quotables“Many of life’s failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” ~Thomas Edison