No Stick Homemade Play Dough in 8 Minutes or Less

I hate homemade play dough recipes. Either they have ingredients that I don’t have (cream of tartar) or they turn into glue, and usually they do both.

How homemade dough usually turns out for me.

How this dough turns out for me.

I finally figured out how to make play dough for my kids in a quick easy no-stick way that allows my kids to use their cookie cutters to cut out shapes without gluing the cookie cutters and themselves to the table in the process. It only took six years for me to get it right after quite a few failed attempts.  (And no, adding more flour never helped.)

No Stick Homemade Play Dough Recipe

2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup hot water (warm in tea kettle, boil on stove or just use the hottest tap water you can get. If you want to add coloring, add it to this water.)

1/2 cup hot water
2 tablespoons flour

1. Add oil to food processor.
2. Add salt to food processor
3. add flour to food processor.

4. Turn on food processor. Do not turn it off until your dough is done. All additional ingredients should be added while the food processor is mixing.
5. Add 1 cup hot water to food processor.
6. When the mixture is very well mixed (1-2 minutes) add the additional half cup of water.
7. When the mixture is very well mixed (1-2 minutes) and starting to be doughy add 1 tablespoon of flour.
8. Add second tablespoon of flour.

9. Mix for another 1-2 minutes and shut off.

10. Knead your dough while it cools. It should not be gluey or sticky at this point and it should already have the consistency of play dough. If it is gluey or sticky leave it in the food processor and add an additional tablespoon of flour. Don’t take it out if it’s still sticky. If it is flaky but still sticky then you can add more oil.

You can store your dough in plastic ziplock bags or any airtight container.

10 comments for “No Stick Homemade Play Dough in 8 Minutes or Less

1. Marie
    October 10, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I wish I could pin this!

October 10, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I think you can, it’s been pinned by other people already. :)

2. Simone
    October 12, 2013 at 11:45 am

You’re timing couldn’t be more perfect! Now to see if my mother in law has a food processor… We’re at their place for Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. do you think a blender or hand blender would work? Hmmm… I guess I can rt and hope I don’t glue myself to everything!

• Marie
      December 19, 2015 at 5:07 pm

I made it in my stand up mixer… I had to use 5 tablespoons of flour instead of 2 but it worked

3. Jess
    December 13, 2013 at 12:55 am

I was just about to give up on homemade playdough. Thank you! I’ve made 3 recipes today using ingredients like Cream of Tarter and Citric Acid and still they turned out sticky, but not this one. I will say that it did strain my processor and I worried I was going to burn it up.

December 13, 2013 at 9:35 am

My food processor has a ‘dough’ function for kneading bread dough, so I think it’s a slightly heavier duty construction. (I use ‘high’ for the play dough though, not the ‘dough’ option.) glad your play dough worked! And that your food processor didn’t burn out. :)

4. Kirsty
    March 27, 2015 at 10:54 am

This didn’t work for us at all. Just a huge mess in the food processor for me to clean.

March 31, 2015 at 11:58 pm

Oh no! I’m sorry it didn’t work for you. I’ve had several failed playdough attempts with different recipes, this one has been one of my favorites. I’ve heard that different recipes respond differently to different humidity levels. I hope you find a recipe you like that works for you!

5. Kate
    February 24, 2016 at 9:23 am

Perfect! Teal colored and almond scented….ready to go
    I think sometimes folks use dry measures for wet ingredients and visa versa…makes a difference.

6. Katie Ball
    May 25, 2018 at 6:42 am

I haven’t even tried it yet…
    I hope it works! 🙂