I hate homemade play dough recipes. Either they have ingredients that I don’t have (cream of tartar) or they turn into glue, and usually they do both.
I finally figured out how to make play dough for my kids in a quick easy no-stick way that allows my kids to use their cookie cutters to cut out shapes without gluing the cookie cutters and themselves to the table in the process. It only took six years for me to get it right after quite a few failed attempts. (And no, adding more flour never helped.)
No Stick Homemade Play Dough Recipe
2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup hot water (warm in tea kettle, boil on stove or just use the hottest tap water you can get. If you want to add coloring, add it to this water.)
1/2 cup hot water
2 tablespoons flour
1. Add oil to food processor.
2. Add salt to food processor
3. add flour to food processor.
4. Turn on food processor. Do not turn it off until your dough is done. All additional ingredients should be added while the food processor is mixing.
5. Add 1 cup hot water to food processor.
6. When the mixture is very well mixed (1-2 minutes) add the additional half cup of water.
7. When the mixture is very well mixed (1-2 minutes) and starting to be doughy add 1 tablespoon of flour.
8. Add second tablespoon of flour.
9. Mix for another 1-2 minutes and shut off.
10. Knead your dough while it cools. It should not be gluey or sticky at this point and it should already have the consistency of play dough. If it is gluey or sticky leave it in the food processor and add an additional tablespoon of flour. Don’t take it out if it’s still sticky. If it is flaky but still sticky then you can add more oil.
You can store your dough in plastic ziplock bags or any airtight container.